14 Jan Which Comes First – Acting Professionally or Being a Professional Actor?
Student’s Mom: When will my son be a professional actor?
Kid Yoda: Acting professionally he will be one.
Which comes first the chicken or the egg?
Which comes first acting professionally or being a professional actor?
Yes, literally being a professional actor means getting paid to act in something.
However, acting professional means that at all times you are preparing like a professional actor by being fully prepared for your auditions and callbacks.
That means lots of things, some of which are:
- Printing out your sides.
- Reading everything you have been given even it’s been crossed out.
- Completely understanding your character.
- Comprehending all the scenes and their requirements.
- Doing your script analysis.
- Either being memorized or incredibly familiar with the dialogue.
- Being on time for your auditions.
- Fully committing before you begin your audition.
- Making connection with the reader.
- Able to take casting director/director re-direction easily and accurately.
- Enjoying the whole audition and callback process.
- Looking forward to your next audition.
It is not making excuses about why you didn’t get a chance to do all of this.
Then when you book that first gig you are already acting like a professional actor.
So which comes first acting professionally or being a professional actor?
The answer is always the same: acting professionally!!!